Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Luke 1:39-56

Mary’s song, the Magnificat, is one of my favorite texts to sing. Her words are both humble and full of praise -- astonishing since this young woman was put in a seemingly impossible circumstance as the “Mother of God.” Martin Luther also loved the Magnificat and wrote, “Here, the tender mother of Christ teaches us, with her words and by the example of her experience, how to know, love, and praise God.” And while reading Mary’s words is powerful, I sometimes wonder if she sang them instead, clutching her pregnant belly and crooning to the child she carried, “Though I am small, my God, my all, you work great things in me, and your mercy will last from the depths of the past to the end of the age to be” (ELW 723)

The Evangelical Lutheran Worship book (ELW) includes several lovely settings of the Magnificat including hymn numbers 236, 882, 573, and 723. Sing praise to the Lord!

Angela Nickerson, Director of Discipleship

No comments:

Post a Comment