Thursday, December 24, 2009

Luke 2:1-7

Away in a manger, no crib for his bed, 
the little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head; 
the stars in the bright sky look down where he lay, 
the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.

Our children’s choirs have been learning “Away in a Manger” this year, and during one of their rehearsals an exchange between the children struck me. Candace Costa, our Children’s Choir Director, was asking the youngest children what they remembered about the Christmas story -- “Who is the mother? Who is the baby?” And I suddenly realized that I can’t remember ever not knowing the Christmas story. I grew up in a home that celebrated Christmas and was surrounded by great people of faith: my mother, my grandparents, members of my congregation.

I hope that sometime today you take a moment to tell the story. Tell a child, an adult. Tell a friend or a stranger. In the midst of the hustle and hassle take a moment to tell the story to someone and share the joy that comes with the birth of the Baby Jesus.

Angela Nickerson, Director of Discipleship

No comments:

Post a Comment